The UL 4600 Guidebook
ANSI/UL 4600 is the most comprehensive standard for highly automated vehicle safety, applying to any vehicle in which a human driver can take their eyes off the road. It provides a way to check the completeness and correctness of a safety case that spans a broad range of concerns related to safety, including design, deployment, and lifecycle support. There is a special emphasis on computer hardware and software, as well as operational concepts and interaction with other road users. While other relevant standards can and should be used as well, UL 4600 provides an umbrella to make sure things don’t get missed for assuring safety.
This book, written by the author of the original UL 4600 standard proposal, serves as a high-level guided tour. Early chapters provide historical context, a description of the distinctive UL 4600 prompt element approach, a discussion of key terms, and how a safety case works in the context of the standard. Then comes a chapter-by-chapter tour of UL 4600, explaining overall concepts and how all the pieces fit together for each area covered by the standard, from safety cases to hazard analysis to assessment. This book will help technical readers prepare for diving into the nitty gritty of the standard, as well as provide a more accessible discussion for those who want to understand what UL 4600 covers at a higher level. The last chapter provides pointers to further information, including how you can view the current version of UL 4600 for free.
This is a comparatively short (about 100 pages of main content) trade paperback (6"x9") discussion of a much longer, fairly complex standard. So think of it as a tour guidebook and not a textbook.
Currently available for purchase from Amazon, with international distribution via their print-on-demand network. (See country-specific distribution list below.)
eBook available from Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/pkoopman
Media coverage and bonus content:
- Free downloadable book preview here: BOOK PREVIEW
- Video lecture summarizing main topics covered in the book: YouTube video | Archive.org video | slides
- Clickable links from the resources section
- Overview and applicability of UL 4600
- Requirements and prompt elements
- The safety case
- Hazards and risks
- Interaction with people and road users
- Autonomy functions and support
- Software & system engineering process
- Data and networking
- Verification, validation, and test
- Tools, COTS, and legacy qualification
- Lifecycle concerns
- Safety Performance Indicators
ISBN: 9798365303065 Trade Paperback
ISBN: 9798365303249 Hardcover (available only in marketplaces supported by Amazon)
- For printed books you can probably order it from a nearby country for international shipment.
- For Kindle ebook what matters is what country your kindle is registered for, which is not necessarily your physical location.
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.) / Updated; originally posted Nov. 30, 2022.